Terra Nova National Park of Canada is a place where long fingers of the North Atlantic Ocean...
Rules and Regulations
Canada’s Ultimate Family Adventure Contest
Official Contest Rules & Regulations
Contest dates: April 20th, 2012 to June 8th, 2012
THE CONTEST PERIOD
1. The “Canada’s Ultimate Family Adventure Contest” (the “Contest”) is run by Parks Canada National Office (the “Contest Administrator”) in conjunction with co-sponsors Nature Canada, the Historica-Dominion Institute and VIA Rail Canada Inc. Contest entries will be accepted online from April 20th, 2012 at 12:00 PM (Eastern Time) to June 8th, 2012 at 12:00 PM (Eastern Time). (the “Contest Period”).
CONTEST GROUP ENTITIES
2. For the purposes of the Contest, the Contest Group Entities are: Parks Canada National Office at 25-7-N Eddy Street, Gatineau, QC, K1A 0M5; Nature Canada at 300-75 Albert Street, Ottawa, ON K1P 5E7; The Historica-Dominion Institute at 43 Front Street E., Suite 301, Toronto, ON M5E 1B3; and VIA Rail Canada Inc., P.O. Box 8116, Station “A”, Montreal, QC, H3C 3N3, together with their affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers of materials and services related to the Contest, the contest website www.myparkspass.ca/ www.monpasseportparcs.comand any other corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship or other legal entity directly involved in the Contest (collectively, the “Contest Group Entities”). The Contest Group Entities will collectively act as the contest judges.
3. The Contest is open to all Grade 8 and Secondaire II students who are residing in these provinces and territories in Canada at the time of contest entry and the Grand Prize draws: Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut. For greater clarity, any student residing outside of Canada during the contest entry and draw periods, or who is not in Grade 8 or Secondaire II at the time of receiving their My Parks Pass is not eligible to enter.
Employees of the Contest Group Entities, their affiliates, advertising and promotional agencies, service providers, prize sponsors, contest judges, their immediate family members and those domiciled with them are not eligible to enter.
HOW TO ENTER
4. The My Parks Pass Contest may be entered online only, by completing the online entry form in full at www.myparkspass.ca/ www.monpasseportparcs.comwithin the contest entry period. Contest entries received by mail will not be accepted.
The online entry form must be completed with the student’s full legal name, address, city, province and postal code, telephone number, email address, the name of his/her school and the unique VIP code found on the back of their My Parks Pass. An entrant who is below the age of majority in his/her province or territory of residence must have the consent of his/her parent or legal guardian to submit his/her personal information in order to enter the contest. If a parent or legal guardian does not provide consent, the entrant will be disqualified.
There is a limit of one contest entry per eligible student; duplicate entries, incomplete entries, and entries with falsified information will be disqualified. The decision to disqualify any entry is at the sole discretion of the Contest Judges, and will occur without notice or communication to the entrant. The disqualification decision is final and not subject to review.
Only one (1) email address may be used by any student who enters the Contest. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of an entrant, the entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized holder of the email address at the time of entry. For these purposes, the “authorized holder” is the natural person who is assigned to the submitted email address by an Internet access or online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.
All entries must be received no later than June 8th, 2012 at 12:00 PM (Eastern Time). Late entries will be disqualified. There is no fee to enter this contest, and no purchase is necessary.
THE PRIZE DRAWS
5. Five (5) random prize draws made up from all the eligible entries received by the contest deadline will take place onFriday, June 8th, 2012, at 3:00 PM (Eastern Time) at the offices of Nature Canada at 300-75 Albert Street, Ottawa, ON K1P 5E7. The first entrant drawn will be for the Grand Prize Ultimate Family Adventure trip. The next four entrants drawn will be for the Second Prize travel vouchers and passes. A selected entrant may only win one prize.
6. There will be one (1) Grand Prize and five (5) Second Prizes awarded. The prizes are:
GRAND PRIZE ULTIMATE FAMILY AVENTURE:
There is one (1) Grand Prize of an Ultimate Family Adventure tripfor four people, with a retail value of approximately $15,000 CAD. The definition of “Family” is: The winning Grade 8 student, a minimum of one parent or legal guardian, plus two (2) other people who may be either family members or friends. The Grand Prize trip consists of the following:
- Flights in coach class for four people to Montreal. The airline will be selected based on the point of departure and flight availability. Note: If the winner resides in Montreal or its suburbs, flights will not be required.
- VIA Rail train trips for four from Montreal (Quebec) to Toronto (Ontario).
- Bus transportation from Toronto to the Niagara-on-the-Lake Region.
- Four (4) nights hotel accommodation for four people.
- Guided tour of theNiagara River Corridor (including Queenston Heights Battlefield NHS and Brock’s Monument, Lundy’s Lane Museum (new), Chippewa Battlefield, Fort Erie NHS(operated by Niagara Parks Commission)
- Guided walking tour of Niagara National Historic District (including Niagara Historical Museum, Fort Mississauga NHS, Butler’s Barracks NHS, Fort George Battlefield NHS, U.S. occupation entrenchments, sites connected to the Underground Railway)
- Personal tour of Fort George NHS and historic re-enactment encampment
- Visit of tall ships and naval encampment at Navy Hall
- One dinner for four people at the N-o-t-L Golf Club overlooking Fort Niagara, N.Y.
- One period dinner for four people and one (1) night accommodation for four people at Fort George barracks
- Flights in coach class for four people departing from the Toronto airport to closest major airport of winners’ home.
- One family Discovery Pass to continue experiencing additional Parks Canada sites.
- Approximately $1,500 in spending money based on Treasury Board standards.
SECOND PRIZES -- VIA RAIL VOUCHER & PARKS CANADA DISCOVERY PASS:
Each of the five (5) second prizes is valued at a combined total of $1,136.40 and consists of two components:
- One VIA Rail voucher of $1,000 for train travel anywhere in Canada that VIA Rail travels.
- One Parks Canada Discovery Pass for Family/Group valued at $136.40. This annual pass allows free entry to more than 100 National Parks, National Marine Conservation Areas and National Historic Sitesacross Canada that charge entry fees. It is valid for a group of up to 7 people arriving together, for one full year from the date of issuance.
The Parks Canada Discovery Pass:
o must be signed by the passholder
o is rendered void if resold
o is not transferable
o is valid for entry only at participating locations. Locations not listed have no entry fees and thus no pass is required.
Grand Prize Travel Conditions:The Grand Prize family trip must be accepted as awarded, and is non-transferable. The student travel winner must have the consent of a parent or legal guardian to go on the trip, and must travel with at least one parent or legal guardian who is the age of majority in his or her respective province of residence.
The Grand Prize trip will be scheduled on a specific date within this time period:July 9 – 14, 2012 and must be taken on the scheduled date which will be announced at the time of the prize draw. Parks Canada will make all the travel arrangements and reserves the right to select the travel date and structure the travel route at its sole discretion.
The travel prize has no cash redemption value. If a winner and his/her family are unable to travel on the required dates, the prize will be forfeited and the Contest Administrator may elect to draw another winner. Air travel (if required) is from the nearest major airport to the winner’s residence. All members of the travel party must travel at the same time, and depart from the same airport. No travel deviations are permitted. Retail values are shown in Canadian Dollars. Travel insurance is not included. All winners are encouraged to purchase their own travel, medical and cancellation insurance. All members of the travel party are responsible for all personal travel documents such as passports or visas that may be required.
All expenses not expressly specified as being included in the Travel Prize (including, but not limited to, personal travel insurance costs, meals, tips and gratuities, extra amenities, hotel charges other than accommodation (e.g. telephone, fax or cable charges, mini-bar, room service, laundry or other hotel services) or expenses or any other costs not specifically listed as being included in the prize package) are the responsibility of the Winner and his/her family.
Air travel is not eligible for any frequent flyer program points or credit. The Contest Group Entities make no express or implied warranties of any kind with respect to safety, or performance of the contest prizes.
AWARDING THE PRIZES
7. Each selected entrant (or his/her parent or legal guardian) will be contacted by phone by a representative of Nature Canada on Friday, June 8th, 2012. Each selected entrant must agree to accept the Grand Prize or Second Prize as awarded and fulfill the requirements set out in Rule 8 below. The Prizes are not redeemable for cash or credit. If for any reason a selected entrant cannot be reached after two attempts, and does not respond within five (5) business days of being contacted, or is unable to accept the prize as awarded, his/her entry will be declared null and void, and the Contest Group Entities / Contest Administrator reserve the right to select at random another eligible entry.
The Contest Sponsors will not be held responsible for the loss of prizes due to changes in mailing addresses, errors in completed Entry Forms or any other circumstances leading to an invalid, erroneous or incomplete mailing address or email address. Prizes will be delivered within 30 days of receiving the signed Release Forms.
TO BE DECLARED A WINNER
8. To be declared a winner of a contest prize (a “Winner”), a selected entrant must, in addition to meeting the Contest eligibility criteria and otherwise complying with the official Contest rules, first:
- Be reached by telephone by a Nature Canada representatives and respond within the five (5) business days immediately following the selection of the entry;
- Complete and sign the Sponsors’ form of Declaration and Release including the permission and signature of a parent or legal guardian, and return it to Nature Canada, Att: Chris Sutton at fax # 613-562-3371 no later than June 22, 2012;
- Skill-testing question:The selected entrant must correctly answer, un-aided by mechanical means, a mathematical skill-testing question on the form of Declaration & Release.
- Disqualification:If any one of the above mentioned conditions is not met, the selected entrant will be disqualified and shall not be entitled to receive any prizes. The Contest Administrator reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to verify the information on the contest entry form of any selected entrant, and if any information if deemed to be false, the Administrator reserves the right to disqualify that entrant and draw another eligible entrant as a potential prize winner. The decision of the Contest Administrator / Contest Judges is final and binding, without right of appeal.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
9. Verification of Entries:The validity of any Contest entry is subject to verification by the Contest Administrator. Any incomplete or fraudulent entries will be rejected. Any entrant or other individual who enters or attempts to enter the Contest in a manner which is contrary to these official Contest Rules or which is otherwise disruptive to the proper operation of the Contest or by its nature is unjust to other entrants or potential entrants will be rejected and that entrant or purported entrant will be disqualified. All decisions of the Contest judges, who may be employees or independent contractors of the Sponsors and Contest Administrator, with respect to any and all aspects of the Contest, including without limitation the eligibility or disqualification of entrants or entries, are final and binding without right of appeal.
10. The Odds: The odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received.
11. For Residents of Quebec: Any litigation respecting the conduct and awarding of the prizes in this contest may be submitted to la Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux du Québec only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement. This Contest is void where prohibited, and is subject to all applicable Federal, Provincial and Municipal laws.
12. Acceptance of Prizes:All Prizes must be accepted as described in these rules and cannot be transferred to another individual, substituted for another prize or exchanged in whole or in part for cash or credit. If for any reason a selected entrant cannot be reached through the contact information provided, or does not respond to the Contest Sponsor within five (5) business days of being contacted, or if there is any reason a winner cannot accept the prize as awarded, his/her entry will be declared null and void, and another eligible entrant will be randomly drawn from among the remaining eligible entries.
13. Substitution of a Prize:The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, and for any reason whatsoever, to substitute a Prize or any part thereof, with an alternate prize of equivalent value.
14. Other Termination of Contest: The Contest Sponsors / Administrator reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to modify, cancel, terminate or suspend the Contest, in whole or in part, in the event of any cause or circumstance, including without limitation any virus, computer bug or unauthorized human intervention or any other cause that is beyond the control of the Sponsors / Administrator, that could corrupt or affect the administration, security, impartiality or normal course of the Contest, with the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux in Quebec.
15. Release and Exclusion of Liability:By entering or attempting to enter the Contest, each entrant and/or purported entrant agrees: (i) to release, discharge, and forever hold harmless the Contest Group Entities, and their respective officers, directors, employees, shareholders, agents and other representatives (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any and all claims, actions, damages, injuries, demands, manner of actions, causes of action, suits, debts, duties, accounts, bonds, covenants, warranties, indemnities, claims over, contracts and liabilities of whatever nature or kind arising out of, or in connection with the entrant’s participation or attempted participation in the Contest, compliance or non-compliance with these Contest rules and acceptance and use of the Grand Prize or Second Prize or any portion thereof; and (ii) if selected as a potential Prize winner, to sign (along with the signature of a parent or legal guardian) the Sponsors’ form of Declaration and Release in this regard before receiving a prize.
The Releasees will not be responsible for lost, incomplete, late or misdirected entries or for any failure of the Contest website during the Contest Period, or for any technical malfunction or other problems with, any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment or software or for any technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination of the foregoing, and will not be liable for any resulting injury or damage to any person or property arising from, or relating to, that person’s or any other person’s participation or attempted participation in the Contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. (iii) The winner must sign a release form, giving the Contest Group Entities permission to publish in print, broadcast or online, the winner’s name and likeness without remuneration.
16. Name/Image of Winners:By entering the Contest, the winner agrees to abide by the Contest rules and authorizes the Sponsor and its advertising and promotional agencies and their respective employees or other representatives to broadcast, publish and otherwise use his or her name, photograph, image, statements regarding the Contest or any prize, place of residence and (or) voice for publicity purposes, without any form of remuneration, including without limitation, on any website operated by or on behalf of the Contest Group Entities.
17. Communication with Entrants:No communication or correspondence will be entered into with any Contest entrants, other than with entrants selected in the prize draws.
18. Personal Information: The personal information gathered about contest entrants in connection with this Contest will be kept in a secure and confidential database, and will not be rented or sold. Personal information of the contest entrants will be used for the administration of this Contest, and may be shared with contest co-sponsors, excluding Parks Canada, for the purposes of this contest only. If you wish to opt-out after the registration process, please mail a written request, including your name, address and phone number to:
Nature Canada, 300-75 Albert Street, Ottawa, ON K1P 5E7
Att: Chris Sutton
Subject: Canada’s Ultimate Family Adventure Contest